BRINGING IN THE COWS


Whether you turn to the right or to the left,
your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying,
“This is the way; walk in it.”  Isaiah 30:21 NIV

Bringing in the Cows
When I stayed with my grandparents in the summer, Grandpa would let me tag along with him and my uncles when they gathered the cows in to be milked.  Each evening, they would go and collect them from their cool shady pastures at the edge of the woods.

Barefoot and happy as a lark, I was reminded more than once to watch my step.  My six-year-old eyes didn’t miss a thing.  I liked watching the cows’ tails swoosh, striking randomly at the swarming flies, who insisted on dancing in close proximity to the cows.  The cows bawled loudly, and I tried to decide what and whom they were most annoyed with—being disturbed from the cool shade or bothered by the pesky flies.  Finally, I decided they must just be hungry.

Once in awhile, one would stray off the path, and Grandpa would call out sternly, “Get over Bossy!”  And to my uncles, “Keep her on the path, headed to the barn.”  I had a lot of faith in my grandpa, for I trusted him completely.  I knew he could keep Bossy on the straight and narrow path.  Shortly, we’d arrive at the barn, and at a safe distance, I’d perched to watch the milking begin.  

Heavenly Insights
Our Heavenly Father can be trusted too.  In His Word, He tells us a lot about paths and plans.  Jeremiah 29:11 NIV explains:   For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”

Grandpa’s plan was to get the cows safely to their destination.  He would not have let anything prevent him from doing that.  True, old Bossy tried to sidestep the straight way, but there was Grandpa, nudging her back onto the path.  God, too, has a plan for our lives.  He can be safely trusted to guide us, but we need to pray and seek that guidance instead of trying to go our own way.  When we belong to Jesus, we have the promise of Isaiah 30:21 that He will indeed nudge us if we get off the path.  What an assurance that we are being guided.

Psalms 119:105 KJV is familiar to most of us:  Your word is a lamp until my feet and a light unto my path.  Indeed the Bible will enlighten us on the path we are to walk in life.  Let us hold out the light to our grandchildren.

Grandpa’s Tools

God has a plan for each person’s life.

Grandparents are to help train the younger generation so that God’s work can continue.

God’s Word is filled with His Wisdom and will light our path on earth.


Passing on the Godly Heirloom
of GOD’S PROMISED GUIDANCE

Use the Internet and map a trip, or look at a roadmap and plan a trip.  Discuss with your grandkids that the Bible is like a map guiding us through life.
 
Try some “light gathering” activities:
Gather fireflies with the younger grandkids or give the gift of flashlights to your grandchildren.

Older grandchildren could help grandpa adjust the beam of the headlights on the car.  Whatever the activity, stress that God’s Word is a light unto our path; it is like a light to our mind, helping us understand the right way to live and how to stay out of trouble.

Comments

Popular Posts