Lesson 3, Week 4:  Living in The Present
Today’s Scripture Focus:  The LORD will command His loving kindness in the daytime. Psalm 42:8a NIV

*Before you begin, stop and ask the Holy Spirit to teach you as you study His Word.

Whenever we see the word daytime, we think of it as referring to the hours of daylight we have in every twenty-four hours. But often, in biblical times God used “daytime” to refer to our life with the meaning that He will command His loving kindness in our lives.

Yesterday, we talked about putting the past behind us. If we have truly done that, then we can live the rest of our lives baggage free. We can live freely in His presence. That’s what it mean in John 8:32 “And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free.” When you understand that you are truly forgiven—past, present, and future sins—then you can live unencumbered in the present.

Think on These Things

Read Isaiah 43. Focus on verse 18, The Good News Bible.

“But the LORD says, ‘Do not cling to events of the past or dwell on what happened long ago.’”

I know we discussed this verse yesterday, but I want you to focus on it again with an eye to the future. In this passage God was talking to His chosen people, the Israelites. He was telling them He was going to make a way where there wasn’t any way. God had forgiven them their sins and was already doing a new thing.

What does this passage tell us today? It is telling us in no certain terms, don’t cling to past mistakes. You’ve confessed them and now it’s time to let go of them and move on. God already has, and he wants you to do the same. You have permission to never beat yourself up again over “should haves”and “shouldn’t haves.” Always, God forgives us when we ask Him, but often we don’t forgive ourselves.

Isaiah 43:19 goes on to say, “Watch for the new thing I am going to do. It is happening already—you can see it now.”

But as a grandparent, a senior citizen, you may be asking, There aren’t too many more years of my life, why would God be doing a new thing now?

The answer is because God has a PLAN or your life, in EVERY SEASON of your life. Don’t underestimate the living God.  Jeremiah 29:11 states, "For I know the plans I have for you, says the LORD. Plans for good and not for evil; to give you a future and a hope." (NIV)

In Isaiah 46:4 we are told “Even to your old age and gray hairs I am he, I am he who will sustain you. I have made you and I will carry you; I will sustain you and I will rescue you.(NIV)

God is going to be in our day with His loving kindness, watching over us and guiding us. The Lord willing, I’ve always said, “I’m going to live until
I die.” By that, I mean I choose to make my days count until I go home to be with the Lord. So, let’s live in the present being the hands and feet of Jesus.

What I learned

What does God want us to do?____________________________

If we are truly forgiven and have received God’s grace, how can we live?

_____________________________________________________ 

God has a plan for our ___________________ in every ___________ of our __________________.

God has made a promise regarding our senior years. What is it?

______________________________________________________

We can live in the present because God is ____________________

___________________________________ Isaiah 43:19

How I will Apply What I Have Learned

I will pray about the activities I do to be sure they are in line with God’s will.

I may have to slow down, but I’m sure I can do something such as pray for the sick, send cards to the sick and to the shut-ins, or take food to someone. Prayer is the most important thing we can do.

I will listen more to God, and not over schedule myself. Then I can hear and recognize his voice.

Dear Lord,
      
Since I’m free in Christ, through the precious blood you shed on my behalf, I can make the most of my days. Don’t let me think that because I am a senior citizen, a grandparent, my days are to be lived without meaning. Instead, remind me that the most important thing I can do for my family and grandchildren is to pray for them. Guide me, show me, how you want me to live out my senior years. May I reflect Your loving-kindness in my days. Let me live until I die. Amen





Comments

Popular Posts