THANK-MAS

       



     
              “Over the River and Through the Wood, to grandmother’s house we go . . .” It’s that time of the year—time to put on your holiday spirit and get busy. Grandma, they’re coming to your house for Thanksgiving, then one-two-three, Christmas is upon us. If you’re like our family, you may be celebrating the holidays together and creating something one of my friends calls, Thank-mas

            When I first heard my friend mention Thank-mas, my mind went into overdrive and I began to consider all the ways to celebrate. First of all, I don’t like to put up our Christmas tree until after Thanksgiving, but I could certainly put up a smaller tree for the Thank-mas occasion. I always like to go around the Thanksgiving table and have everyone name something for which they are thankful. My next aha-thought was, How about making turkey or pumpkin cards for family members to write the things they are thankful for on? Then we could use these to decorate our Thank-mas tree.

           I soon found out that I'm not the first one to think of a tree of thankfulness. When I googled a "Thanksgiving Tree" several different styles came up. I was thinking of a small artificial evergreen, but I learned that you can be as creative as you want to be. Some families used a branch from outside. Others made creations out of twisted brown paper, or made the tree on the wall. That sent me off in another creative vein. However you decide to do it, have fun with it. I might make a note here that the Thank-mas gift exchange is to be with those family members who are long-distance and home for the holiday. The near-by family will still exchange when they get together at Christmas.

            Grandparents, in order for all of this to happen, you need to do the shopping for the long-distance family early in November, and then wrap it. Okay, so maybe it is a little late for you to do this in 2017, but print this blog and put it in your planner for next year. You can always mail their gifts this year. But I’m pumped. Our two oldest grandchildren are going to be home for Thanksgiving and that means I get to be with my five precious great-grandbabies. That will be a blessing indeed. Oh, I guess I’d better go and start baking some Thank-mas cookies, and let me see, what else? Now, where did I put my list?

Comments

Popular Posts