CAN YOU REALLY GRANDPARENT VIA LONG DISTANCE?


The Cookie Grandma never got over being a long distance grandma. Yes, I am blessed to have six of the grandchildren close by—thank you Jesus—but I also have three grandchildren and nine of my ten great-grandchildren living many states away. This is a sign of the times, living in a mobile society. Families go here and they go there by plane, train, or car. But it’s not always that easy for grandparents living on limited income to visit. Traveling is expensive.

But, thank you Jesus, I didn’t live back in the day of the wagon trains. In those days, you went away and you didn’t reconnect for years, or maybe never. We are blessed! We have Skype, Facetime, Marco Polo, and all the social media facets such as Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, and probably many that this cookie grandma doesn’t know about. In spite of being long distance, we can still connect. I promise you, don’t miss out.





Today, I want to talk to you about how to do long distance birthday gifts and holiday remembrance. It’s really pretty simple. I order online and have it shipped to their home. If you have a large family and can’t afford to buy gifts, then I suggest cards with small gift cards, or just send those musical birthday cards. Kids big and little love them. Holiday remembrance can be done likewise. You can also add a Facetime phone call and you have the next best thing to being there. Oh, I’m thankful, thankful, thankful! They won’t forget grandpa or me between visits. Grandparents chins-up. It’s time to look at the positives and forget the negative. Families can still be close together, even when they’re living long distance.

Then by all means celebrate your near-by grandchildren. I’ve learned that children and grandchildren really don’t like talking on the phones. It’s all about texting and for the most part, I comply. I’m even on Twitter and Instagram. If I can do it, you can too for I’m technologically challenged. Thus, near or far,celebrate their birthdays and holidays; above all count yourself blessed.

If you are a long distance grandma, go to Amazon.com, type in Janet Teitsort and you should be on my author page. Check out my Long Distance Grandma book. It’s laid out month-by-month and filled with lots of suggestions for all ages. It has ideas for college grandchildren, deployed grandchildren and their families, and blended families. I know you'll enjoy it. Happy grandparenting!


Comments

Popular Posts