Boots on The Ground Puts Parents & Grandparents on their Knees


"Boots on the Ground" is a term for combat troops deployed in a foreign country to fight for freedom. It becomes a scary term when you've got your flesh and blood in the boots. I've been there and may be again. What wise counsel can I offer you? Bathe them in prayer twenty-four seven. There is no other way for them or for you to get through this. I will share the Scriptures that gave me the most comfort during those time and also include a pray that I wrote for my soldier grandson.

I wrapped up in Psalm 91 like a blanket and I wrapped my grandson and his buddies in it too. Then I trusted God would keep His promises. STOP what you are doing right now and read Psalm 91 in its entirety.

Now, don’t you feel better?  Psalm 121 is another good one. “He will not let your foot slip—he who watches over you will not slumber." (Psalm 121:3 NIV) The thought of God never slumbering, but watching my soldier gave me great comfort.


Also consider Psalm 46:1-2 TLB “God is our refuge and strength, a tested help in times of trouble. And so we need not fear even if the world blows up and the mountains crumble into the sea.”


Then, “PRAISE BE to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. He is my loving God and my fortress, my stronghold and my deliver, my shield . . .” Psalm 144:1-2 NIV

Part your heavens, O Lord, and come down; touch the mountains, so that they smoke. Send forth lightning and scatter the enemies; shoot your arrows and rout them. Reach down your hand from on high; deliver me and rescue me from the mighty waters, from the hands of foreigners whose mouths are full of lies, whose right hands are deceitful. Psalm 144:5-8 NIV

Prayer for A Soldier 


LORD,

Today I lift up the soldier who is continents away fighting in a war that seems to have no end.  Lord, he’s only twenty-one, and already he has seen more horror than I can even imagine.  Life picked him up right out of high school with only a taste of college, and hurled him into the reality of war in the new millennium.  Dreams to be fulfilled, serving his country, and righting things in a “world gone wrong” were utmost in his thoughts.  But what a transition, Lord! 

Sounds of mortar pepper his nights and days, causing lost of hearing.  The harsher reality is that sometimes he and his buddies are showered with the shrapnel, taking a hit.  God, hold him when he loses a buddy.  Hold him when he’s so scared that life moves in slow motion.  Hear his silent prayers, his plea for Your help.  Give him strength to lift that buddy and carry him out of harm’s way.  Give him courage to wipe his tears, unashamed, and keep moving.

Lord, he’s in hostile territory every moment.  Protect him and his company from hidden enemies.  Guide their decisions—cause them to make the right decision every moment—to turn in the right direction.  Give them discernment from lying enemies, from those who would do them harm.  Help them to work as a team, dear Jesus.  Surround them with your angels of protection.  May their commanders look to you for guidance.

Grant him sleep in the moments he has to rest.  Protect him from sickness.  Help him not to be homesick to the point that it makes him unable to focus.  Guard his mind in Christ Jesus—he who has seen his buddies blown to bits and evil in it cruelest forms.  Protect his mind, his sanity, Lord.  Help him to hold it all together.  Help him not to lose sight of the big picture--the holding back of evil so mankind can live in peace.

And Jesus, fill him with the assurance that You are with him every moment.  Encourage him with thoughts of us who are at home.  Help him to picture us praying for him, remembering what he is about, and that always, we are proud of him and thank him for his gallant fight for peace. 

Now, Lord, you who trained King David’s hand for battle, equip this young soldier.  Be his fortress, his hiding place.  Deliver him from seen and unseen enemies.  Surround him with ministering angels and those who will do battle on his behalf.  Protect him from every possible harm in this foreign land. 

I praise You, Lord.  I praise You who are able to do all of this an more.  I entrust this soldier, this boy who is now a man, to Your watchcare. Thy will be done.   In Jesus Name, Amen.

Copyright: Janet Teitsort

Next time I will share idea for keeping their spirits up. Meanwhile, pray and stay encouraged. God bless you.



Comments

Popular Posts