PLANNING A CAMP G & G

                                                                        
Camp G &G (Camp Grandpa &Grandma) began for our family when our daughter's family moved several states away and our son lived an hour away.  I wanted the grandkids to know what it was like visiting grandma & grandpa's.  I wanted them to know their cousins, and I wanted to spend quality time with them.  Thus, Camp G & G became a yearly event that grandkids and adults looked forward to.

Through the years we've had many themes.  Over the next few weeks, I want to share some of the themes and activities we have done.  Hopefully, you'll be able to glean some of my ideas, and add some of your to make your Camp G & G truly yours.

Weeks before their scheduled arrival, I would send invitations going along with our theme.  I always made their camp week, the week Mom and Dad could get away. Then I would order supplies from a party supply catalog like Oriental Trading, keeping with our theme.  Dollar Tree is also a great place to find supplies. There are so many inexpensive items to choose fun.  We generally tried to have matching cups and plates for the kids to keep, plus we selected plenty of craft kits to keep the kids busy  Most years, we would paint shirts, but this particular year, I purchased them for it was close to the 4th of July and were available.  It's a perfect time for a patriotic theme when Camp G & G falls close to the 4th, then the entire family can enjoy "FIREWORKS!" together. 

When you're ordering your supplies, remember, camp just wouldn't be camp without some of these:  Bubbles, crafts, hikes/walks, picnics, S'mores, and a hot dog roast.

When the time drew near for their arrival, I would stock up on plenty of movies and books for their quiet time.  I always tried to balance out the day with craft projects, lunch, a hike, storytime, dinner, outside games, baths, and a movie to wind down before bedtime.  

Plans were set, supplies were in, and then a week of happiness!  True, I would be tired by week's end, but it was a good tired.  I always invited and encouraged the moms, great-grandma, and the older grandkids to be my assistants.  That's what it's all about family togetherness!

Be watching for my next post on a Western Hoedown theme. 


Comments

Popular Posts