A TRUE PICTURE OF A CAMP G. & G.

I want you to have a true picture of what a Camp G. & G is like, so I thought I would share a letter I wrote to our oldest granddaughter one year when she was on a mission trip and couldn’t be with us.

Dear Carol,

We had one of the best weeks ever at Camp G. & G, but I missed you terribly. I hope you can be with us next year.

The families arrived on Tuesday night. Wednesday we went to the park, painted camp shirts, and swam. Thursday was a big day for we went on a field trip to Circle S Ranch near Greensburg. Everyone went except Karen, who had worked until 4 a.m. the night before. They took us around in an umbrella-wagon cart. They had exotic animals from many countries. The Polish hens were neat. Sarah asked, "Why are those chickens wearing those fancy hats?" They had white swans, black swans, deer from Austria, fish from China, ostriches, all kinds of unusual birds. The children got to feed them all. They showed them how to do it correctly.

I must tell you about the buffaloes--it had rained the night before and there were puddles in their pen. One of the buffalo took off at a romp and splashed James, Lainie, and me from head to toe! The tour guide said, "Welcome to the farm!" and handed me his bandana handkerchief. I wiped us all off.

James said, "I'm never coming back here again!" But he soon forgot his distress.  At the end, they gave all of us juice and animal crackers, plus a coloring book about the animals. There wasn't any charge, just a free will donation.

When we got home that afternoon, the children took naps, then swam in the beanpot pool. Justin came out with them, but kept saying they had to go in and get dressed for supper. He knew I had been cooking. I said, no, they could swim as long as they wanted. Earlier, John and the girls had gone to see Arabian horses at a friend’s farm. I had put a ham in the oven and made macaroni and cheese. I had asked Ellie and Leah to make a dessert, which they happily set about doing.

When Grandpa returned, he said I know you’ve started cooking, but Sue (at the downtown restaurant--this town is just one big happy family) found out Leah and Justin are both here. She wants to do something for their wedding. She wants us all to come up there for sandwiches. I said okay, that we would eat my food the next day. Sue is Korean and has taking Leah to heart because she is Asian-American too.

I had showered and curled my hair after the buffalo incident, but Grandma Colsher suggested I put on make-up. I asked if I didn't look okay without it, and she had replied that I looked better with it. The little girls put on the dresses I had made, and the boys wore their shirts too.  I just didn't get a picture of them wearing them. I was wearing shorts, but John suggested I dress up a little more. When I questioned why, he said, "Oh, you know Sue when she's having a party!" I did change into a slacks outfit.

Well, we all headed for the restaurant. When we passed by, it looked full. I said to Karen, I bet Sue asked the lunch bunch (the group that generally eats in the restaurant each day). When our entourage walked in, everyone began singing happy birthday to me!!! Grandpa had invited family and friends to an early celebration of my 60th birthday! I was so surprised. We had a super time and the food was delicious! I was TOTALLY surprised!!! I really believed that it was for Leah and Justin. Now everything everyone had said and done made sense--from Justin trying to get the kids out of the pool, to Grandma C. saying I needed make-up, and Grandpa trying to get me to dress-up.

Friday, we learned to dance the hula. I had to get out our Hawaiian pictures so Tommy could see that men dance the hula too. The pictures I had were of tribal chiefs with capes, bare torsos and grass skirts. He and James went and got the two capes (one red and the other black) that I'd bought long ago at the local variety store. Then they participated. Even Grandma Colsher got in the act and wore a hula skirt. We had a lot of fun and they all looked so cute. Grandpa videotaped it--and it's precious. We’ll be sure and show it to you.

Everyone was really tired, so Grandma, James, Lainie, Hannah, and Sarah took a nap. Aunt Karen and Abby were napping too. Hannah always sneaks out (which is ok) as soon as the little ones are asleep. After all, she's 8. Grandma promised them money for the variety store if they went to sleep. James said, "Are we really getting money for the store?"

Sarah said, "Yes, and I think it's a lot!"


Gary, Justin, and Tommy had gone to play golf with his dad. Debbie and Grandma Colsher went to Walmart to finish up Hannah's birthday shopping. When I got up, Hannah was all alone, but happy, in the living room. I asked her why she was alone. She showed me a note that said Grandpa had been kidnapped and the ransom was two dozen cookies. Leah and Ellie took Grandpa and went to see Spiderman II. They said they had to wake him up all during the movie because he was snoring.

All returned. The youngest and Grandma swam in the backyard, while Debbie fixed supper (pigs in a blanket--crescent rolls) and we made S'mores. After supper the little ones played soccer in the backyard and caught lightening bugs. Abby loves being outside and has had a ball at Camp G. & G.  James said he was glad Abby was born because she is so cute. She is hilarious and has fit right in. The way she loves shoes, we can tell she's going to work in a shoe store when she grows up. But I think she will be a shoe designer, or else marry a rich man and own a million pairs. James also told me I was as cuddly as an old dog, which is a compliment coming from a little boy. He wants to move closer and have Camp G. & G. every Wednesday, but he says they'd have to buy a farm. I asked him how they would get here every week and he told me they'd just ride their horse.
The older ones--Justin, Leah, Ellie, and Bryan Mc. took Grandpa and went to another movie in Greensburg. Grandma was invited, but too tired.

Tomorrow, we are swimming in the a.m., then having Hannah's birthday party. We're having pizza and strombolis from Pizzalicious. Debbie has made a Barbie doll cake for Hannah. After the party--the serious shoppers are off to the variety store!

On our last night together as a family, we got on a nostalgia kick and were going through the cedar chest and searching for old mementoes of the kids' childhood. The kids were exhausted and no one went to bed until 1 p.m. I will have lots of pictures to show you when you get home.

Write when you can. Your mom says you are having a good time and doing well. You’re in our thoughts and prayers.

Love you, Grandma, and Grandpa too!





Comments

:) that was lots of fun :)

Popular Posts