A Western Theme and a Cooking Camp

CAMPING with A WESTERN THEME
We've covered a camp with a Patriotic Theme, but today let's consider a Western Theme.  As I mentioned yesterday, the first step is to plan ahead, then order supplies, or look for them on a sales table. Next,  it's time to send out your invitations.  If you
are going to go with a western theme, cowboy hats and bandanas are a must.  Along with western crafts, you'll want to watch some movies about horses, and even visit a local horse farm.

I ordered my shirts for this year locally for I got a good deal on them. I chose a beige with a rope lasso design and the caption was "Y'all come!" I ordered plenty so that Great-Grandma down to the littlest tyke could have them.  We did the usual outside activities such as the backyard swimming pool, and hikes, but the big finale of the week was a hot dog roast complete with a hayride.  Needless to say, everyone really enjoyed this gathering.

Another camp we did was a Kid'sCooking Party.
                                                                                                         
SAMPLE INVITATION
You are invited
to CAMP G & G 2008
Kid’s Cooking Party
Location: Grandma & Grandpa Teitsort’s
Rainbow Cottage
In Valley Nook
(bottom of the hill)
Date: July 30, August 1, 2, 3
Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday
Parents are invited to attend our Sunday Luncheon



After discussing it with the grandkids, they decided they wanted to have a Cooking Party.  They had a lot of fun with this.  After doing my pre-planning, I sent out my invitation.  I was able to find the aprons and paints in a local craft department.  They had great fun decorating them.  I couldn't find the hats, or at least, not affordable ones.  Thus, I cut paper bands to fit their heads, then used tissue paper to make the bouffant part.  Of course we had to watch the movie, Ratatouille.

I guided the children in their selections of recipes.
We made everything from tacos to deserts.  I divided them into teams and they learned to work together.  We even had a cookie bake-off.  One of the highlights of the week was playing like they were doing their own show on a food network.  Of course, they had to sample as they worked.  In addition to the daily cooking lessons, they did the usual crafts, playing outside, swimming, and hikes.  On Sunday, the children showed off what they learned by preparing lunch for the adults.   I'll have to admit, this camp was more fun than I had anticipated.  They really took their jobs seriously.

Turn in for the next posts on some other themes.  I hope our ideas will spark some for you.  Happy Grandparenting!!!    


Comments

Popular Posts