Lesson 2, Week 2: Fuel to Soar--Eating for The Glory of God


Today’s Scripture Focus:  They will soar on wings like eagles. Isaiah 40:31 NIV

*Before you begin, ask the Holy Spirit to teach you as you read God’s Word and seek His meaning.

If you’ve ever experienced high or low blood sugar, you know how important eating the proper foods can be.  Personally, I have low-blood sugar, and if I don’t eat on time, I am like a car without gas.  Put the right kind of fuel--in my case food--within me, and I perk right up and will run for several more hours. 

Yesterday we learned that our bodies are a temple for the Holy Spirit, for we are indwelt with the Spirit of God.  We also learned that we are being renewed daily by His power within us.  We know this is definitely a spiritual renewal, but if we care for our bodies as if they are a holy dwelling place for His Spirit, we will find that we are physically renewed too.  We will soar on wings like eagles, having plenty of energy.

Think On These Thing
The Word has some important comments to make regarding our desire for food, and the place we give that desire in our life.  Consider the following verses:

Like newborn babies, crave pure spiritual milk, so that by it you may grow up in your salvation, now that you have tasted that the Lord is good.  I Peter 2:2-3 NIV          

For, as I have often told you before and now say again even with tears, many live as enemies of the cross of Christ.  Their destiny is destruction, their god is their stomach, and their glory is in their shame.  Their mind is on earthly things.  Philippians 3:18-19 NIV

So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.  1 Corinthians 10:31

An example of some young men in the Old Testament, who opted to eat and drink for the glory of God, reveals the benefits of obeying this wisdom.  When King Nebuchadnezzar of Babylon took some young Israelites into captivity, he wanted them fed the rich food and wine from the royal table.  Daniel, one of the young men, convinced the guard to feed he and his friends vegetables and water for ten days, and then compare their appearance with that of the other young men taken into captivity. 

At the end of the ten days they looked healthier and better nourished than any of the young men who ate the royal food.  So the guard took away their choice food and the wine they were to drink and gave them vegetables instead.  Daniel 1: 15-16 NIV

“Everything is permissible for me”—but not everything is beneficial.  “Everything is permissible for me”--but I will not be mastered by anything.  “Food for the stomach and the stomach for food”—but God will destroy them both.  1 Corinthians 5:12-13a

Gluttony has no place in a Christian’s life and will not receive a blessing.  Consider what happened when the Israelites tried to gather manna to store ahead instead of following God’s command to gather only what they needed. 
Then Moses said to them, “No one is to keep any of it until morning.”  However, some of them paid no attention to Moses; they kept part of it until morning, but it was full of maggots and began to smell.  So Moses was angry with them.  Exodus 16:19-20 NIV

If you find honey, eat just enough—too much of it, and you will vomit.  Proverbs 25:16

What I Have Learned
While it is true that our bodies require food for physical energy, what other type of nourishment should we desire even more?_____________________

When our total focus is on earthly things, what might our physical appetite become?_______________

Our eating and drinking must not consume our thoughts.  Instead, we need to eat and drink in a manner that __________ _____________.

Who were the young men that ate for God’s glory?  Their story is revealed in Daniel, chapter one.

What were the results of their actions? _______________

            God will not reward selfishness and gluttony.  The Israelites learned this in regard to gathering the ________

I Will Apply What I Have Learned

STEP 1:  I will examine my life to see what type of fuel 
     and additives I am putting within my body.  
STEP 2:  I will seek to eat healthy foods, and if my
weight is out of control, I will prayerfully seek    disciplined ways to eat, bringing glory to God.
STEP 3:  I will set the example for my spouse, children,
               and grandchildren by eating healthy foods and
               in moderation.

Holy Father,
            Thank You for caring about my eating habits, and setting forth Your wisdom concerning
eating in Your Word.  Thank You for the examples You have painted so vividly through the stories of the Israelites and the young man, Daniel.  Thank You for showing me the consequences of gluttony and the danger of making food into a god.
            Now, enable me to bring any problems that I have regarding eating under Your control—to surrender my willful appetite to You.  Please help me set the example for my family.  May I glorify You in my eating habits, so that I may soar on wings like eagles.  In Jesus name, I pray.  Amen




Comments

Popular Posts