Lesson 3: God Is with You in Your Golden Years

Lesson 3:  God Is With You In Your Golden Years
Today’s Scripture Focus: 
Even when I am old and gray, do not forsake me, O God,  Psalm 71: 18 NIV
*Before you begin, ask the Holy Spirit to teach you as you read God’s Word and seek His meaning.

Throughout the years I have lived, I would never have known I was aging except that my body kept reminding me.  Inside, my spirit is an ideal age.  I’m guessing it is that way for all of us who are fifty-plus.

At first, it was the mirror that insisted on revealing this aging truth.  I would catch my reflection as I passed by the talebearer and would wonder who was that older person staring back at me. Eventually, in a fit of denial, I learned to quit looking in the mirror.  That worked until I turned fifty.  Then I began having morning stiffness, along with creaky joints.  There were other things, but I won’t go into those.  The point is when the body decides to complain, aging has to be reckoned with.

We live in a youth oriented society. Everywhere I looked the focus was on youthfulness.  Questions surfaced in my mind:  Were my useful years, my good years, passed?  What did I have to offer my family and the world as a senior?  Was I doomed to live out my remaining years in a meaningless existence?  Journeying to God’s Word, I found my answers.  Indeed, the Scriptures reveal that God is with us in this very special time of life.

Think On These Things

God’s promises to seniors:
“Listen to me, O house of Jacob, all you who remain of the house of Israel, you whom I have upheld since you were conceived, and have carried since your birth.  Even to your old age and gray hairs I am he, I am he who will sustain you.  Isaiah 46:3-4 NIV

The righteous will flourish like a palm tree, they will grow like a cedar of Lebanon; planted in the house of the LORD, they will flourish in the courts of our God.  They will still bear fruit in old age, they will stay fresh and green, proclaiming, “The LORD is upright; he is my Rock, and there is no wickedness in him.” Psalm 92:12-15 NIV

Purposes and actions for older men and women:
Teach the older men to be temperate, worthy of respect, self-controlled, and sound in faith, in love and in endurance.  Likewise, teach the older women to be reverent in the way they live, not to be slanderers or addicted to much wine, but to teach what is good.  Then they can train the younger women to love their husbands and children, to be self-controlled and pure, to be busy at home, to be kind, and to be subject to their husbands, so that no one will


malign the word of God.  Similarly, encourage the young men to be self-controlled. 
                                                                        Titus 2:2-6 NIV

I have heard it said that the only thing we can be certain of is change itself.  Life is constantly changing and it does appear that we can divide our lifespan into meaningful seasons.  We need to remember—
“For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”  Jeremiah 29:11 NIV

God has given us many biblical examples of seniors who found that the best was yet to come.

(Scripture Reference:  Luke 2:21-38)

The Scriptures tell of two seniors whom God saved the best for the last season of their lives.  One was a devout and righteous man called Simeon, whom the Holy Spirit said would not die until he had seen the Christ, and the other was Anna, a prophetess, who was very old.

Anna had been widowed after a brief marriage of seven years.  She remained a widow for eighty-four years.  Some quick mathematics reveals to us that Anna must have been over 105 when Mary and Joseph brought the infant Jesus to the temple.  Simeon’s age is not revealed, but we get the feeling that he too was very old.  God was with these two and gave them a privileged blessing.

(Scripture Reference:  Joshua 14:6-15)

This passage tells us that Caleb, one of the men that Moses sent to explore the Promise Land, and one who believed that they would have success in conquering it, was eighty-five years old when he was given Hebron as his inheritance.  Not only was he eight-five years of age, but also verse eleven says he was still as strong as when Moses sent him out. 

(Scripture Reference:  Genesis 17: 15-17, 21: 1-5)

Abraham & Sarah became the parents at their senior years.  While that may not be the desire of most of us, many grandparents do find themselves in a similar role as they parent their grandchildren.  God is gracious, and if that is His sovereign will, He will enable you.

The Scriptures are filled with men and women whom God blessed in their final season of life.  God respects seniors and often saves the best for last.  Time after time, we see Him rewarding their wisdom, and the discipline they have attained, with His blessings.

What Did I Learn?
What does God promise to do for us in our senior years?

What does He promise that we will do when we reach our senior years, if we are in Him?

How does God want older men to act in their senior years?

How are senior women to live?

What do senior men and women need to teach the younger generation?


What blessings did Simeon and Anna receive at the end of their lives?


What was the blessing received by Caleb?


What blessing was saved until old age for Sarah and Abraham to receive?


Based on the biblical examples given of seniors citizens who experienced God’s best in their latter years, what hope does that give to you as a senior and a grandparent?


Fill in the blanks of the following verse with your name and claim God’s promise for your golden years.


For I know the plans I have for ___________,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper _______________and not to harm him/her, plans to give ______________a hopes and a future.”  Jeremiah 29:11 NIV

I Will Apply What I Have Learned

STEP 1:  I will not believe the lies of Satan when he tells me my life is over and my usefulness is past.

STEP 2:  I will ask God to reveal His purpose and truth to me for my senior years.

STEP 3:  I will look for ways that I can serve my family, church, community and fellowman. 

STEP 4:  I will not focus on the fact that I am near the end of my life, but instead I will focus on the fact that I still have life.

Dear God,
      I praise You for these senior years, and I know that You have a purpose in these years.  Please guide me by Your Word, Your Spirit and the circumstances of my life.  Please show me how You want me to serve others and pour out Your blessings upon me.  I claim Your promises for my senior years, and like the blessed saints of old, I know You have something wonderful in mind for me, too.  Lord, help me this day to begin to live each day of my life in expectation.  In Jesus Name, Amen



Comments

Popular Posts