Lesson 4, Week 2: God's Rhythm--Finding His Pace


Today’s Scripture Focus:  They will walk and not faint. Isaiah 40:31 NIV

*Before you begin, ask the Holy Spirit to teach you as you read God’s Word and seek His meaning.

I stood by the babbling brook and watched the waters move swiftly, then I walked on downstream.  There for reasons unknown to me, the babbling ceased and the water slowed to almost a standstill—so it is with life.

There are days in my life where everything is rush-rush, hurry-up, and other times when a task is completed and a brief period of rest is allowed.

Lately, though, there seems to be more rush-rush, then rest time--and I’m supposed to be retired.  I thought things slowed down when you became a senior saint, but   not so.  If you’re like me, you are probably finding that this season of your life is busier then all of the other three.  You wonder how you ever had time to work.

As our families and lives have been enriched through the years, we find little time to slow down.  Are we just experiencing the physical slowdown that invariably comes with age, or are we truly busier?  We want to be all things to all people.  We want to find the time to do those things that we have planned to enjoy in our retirement, and especially we want to continue to serve the Lord.  What will happen if we say no to something that is worthwhile?  How can we find God’s rhythm for our lives?

Think On These Things

In vain you rise early and stay up late, toiling for food to eat—for he grants sleep to those he loves. 
Psalm 128:4 NIV

Do not wear yourself out to get rich; have the wisdom to show restraint.  Proverbs 23:4 NIV

For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule:  “If a man will not work, he shall not eat.” 
2 Thessalonians 3:10 NIV

According to the verses you just read, overworking is not a virtue.  God does not want us to be so consumed with acquiring “stuff” that we allow “acquiring” to become our god. On the other hand, laziness does not please God either.   He has designed a perfect rhythm for our lives, and he designed a time for us to rest.

However, it is God’s will for us to enjoy the fruit of our labor.  The Lord loves to bless us.

I know that there is nothing better for men than to be happy and do good while they live.  That everyone may eat and drink, and find satisfaction in all his toil—this is the gift of God.  Ecclesiastes 3:12-13NIV

He also has an individual plan for each life. 

“For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “Plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”  Jeremiah 29:11 NIV

The question is “How do we discern His plan for our lives in each season of our lives?”  His answer to our questions can be found in prayer, circumstances and an inner-peace, which only the Lord can give.  Read Acts 10 for an example of these three points in action:  Peter prayed, circumstances were supportive, and finally he had an inner-peace about what God was leading him to do. 

Teach me to do your will, for you are my God; may your good Spirit lead me on level ground.  Psalm 143:10 NIV

Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight. 
Proverbs 3: 5-6 NIV

If we say yes to every activity or job that people ask us to fill, even if they are positions of service within our church, community, and family, we will soon find that we have little time to spend with the God we desperately want to serve. 

If we don’t have time to meet with the Lord and drink of His Living Water, and eat His Bread of Life, we soon become empty and faint-hearted.  Our service becomes meaningless and is filled with drudgery.  The Lord never intended that one-person attempt to do it all.  That is why the Body of Christ is made up of many individuals.  We are to share the blessings of serving our Lord.

What I Have Learned

Laziness is not pleasing to God, but neither is ___________________.   God has allowed for me to have a time of _____________.

God has given me a special gift.  He wants me to enjoy________________.

The danger in trying to fulfill every opportunity for service is I will not have enough time _______________.

___________, ______________, and an ______________ will guide me to know what God’s will is for my life. 


I Will Apply What I Have Learned

STEP 1:  I will not answer immediately when someone asks me to take on another task.  Instead, I will pray, look at circumstances, and wait for God’s peace regarding the services.

STEP 2:  I will give myself permission to enjoy the fruit of my labor, but I will be sure that I am contributing to God’s Kingdom work.  I will walk and not faint.

STEP 3:  I will take a walk outside and discover 
God’s rhythm in nature.     
               
STEP 4:  I will share the discovery of His rhythm by inviting family members to accompany me on future walks and pointing out God’s rhythm as opposed to the rush-rush of the world’s.  

Dear Father,
You have set the tune of my life to Your perfect rhythm.  But somehow with the crescendo of the world’s rushing beat, I have gotten out of sync.  Please set my pace once again, Father.  I long to move to the rhythm of Your perfect peace and grace.  Enable me to once again enjoy the right about of work, the right amount of play, and most of all, the right amount of rest.  I know I am older, Father, and maybe I can’t do as much as I once did, but still it is not your desire that I give up.  I claim Your promise that I will walk and not faint.  May I experience Your peace and joy anew as I live and breathe within Your perfect rhythm.  In Jesus Name, Amen.


Comments

Popular Posts