Lesson 3, Week 2: Exercising Physically

Lesson 3, Week 2:  Exercising Physically
Today’s Scripture Focus:  They will run and not grow weary.  Isaiah 40:31 NIV

*Before you begin, ask the Holy Spirit to teach you as you read God’s Word and seek His meaning.

            The theory that if you do anything for three weeks, it becomes a habit, goes out the window when it relates to habits requiring self-discipline.  I know this because I have experienced the failure of this theory countless times. 

            I have lived many years and on numerous occasions, I’ve started an exercise program such as daily walking or workouts, and kept the program up for months, only to lose what I had gained as a result of self-discipline, and gain back the weight I had lost in pounds.  As I look back over the past year, I can cite the perfect example of this faulty theory.  I had whipped my body into shape, lost pounds and reduced my blood pressure.  Then in the winter months, I came down with pneumonia, missed a few weeks of exercise, then neglected my program for a few more weeks, until I finally lost sight of my goal.  My well-disciplined habit fell by the wayside.

            I can identify with Paul as he says, “For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out.  For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing.”  Romans 7: 18-19 NIV. 

Think On These Things
How do we become more than conquers in areas which require self-discipline?  Paul reminds us of an important point, “Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.” Romans 8:1 NIV

We do not need to beat ourselves up when we fail, but we do need to continue on in the arms of the Lord, seeking to glorify Him with our physical exercise program as well as our spiritual exercises. 

There are three banner words that we need to keep before us.  These banner words will remind us to keep our focus on the Enabler, Jesus our Lord, and only then will we overcome through the power of God.

FAITH--in God, not self.
“My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.”  Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me.  2 Corinthians 12:9 NIV

FOCUS—not only on the final outcome, but also on the day-by-day benefits.  There must be both long range and short-range rewards. 

The long-range goals for exercising physically may be to lower blood pressure by several points or perhaps to lose weight, or increase the length of your days.  Still, you must have both short and long range rewards that you realize and praise God for.  There must be a purpose to putting yourself through the nitty-gritty of self-discipline exercise--rest assured that there is.

Therefore I do not run like a man running aimlessly; I do not fight like a man beating the air.  No, I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize.  1 Corinthians 9:26-27 NIV

FALL-UP—to fall is not an excuse to stay down. When a Christian trips, they are to get up, repent, confess their sins to God, and get back on track. The Lord will not fail to erase our stumbles and bumbles when we take them to Him.  It is His strength that is sufficient in our weakness.
If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. I John 1:9 NIV

Although the Lord gives you the bread of adversity and the water of affliction, your teachers will be hidden no more; with your own eyes you will see them.  Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, “This is the way; walk in it.”  Isaiah 30:19-20

You were running a good race.  Who cut in on you and kept you from obeying the truth?  That kind of persuasion does not come from the one who calls you. Galatians 5:7 NIV

Let us throw off everything that hinders and the sins that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us.  Hebrews 12:1 NIV




What I Have Learned

When I fall short of my expectations, I need to remember that there is no ______________for those who are in Christ Jesus.

I must not rely on my own strength to establish physical discipline.  Instead, I must look to God the Enabler for His ___________is made perfect in __________. 

My focus must be on both the long-range and short-range benefits of physical exercises. 
I do not run _______________.  There is a purpose to
my exercise. 
           
While falls in life will undoubtedly happen, a Christian can__________their ___________and receive forgiveness from God. 

There will be trials in this life, but the Lord will be there to say, “This _______________, ________
_______________.

Discouragement comes from _______________, not God.

Even on days when I feel like giving up or giving in on my plan of exercise, the Word tells us to ________
off everything that __________ and the ________that entangles, and run with _________________the _____
marked out for us.

Three banner words that I will use to remind me to establish good spiritual and physical exercise habits are
___________, ____________, and ______________.

I Will Apply What I Have Learned
STEP 1:  I will speak affirmations of faith daily.

God’s grace is sufficient for me, for His power is made perfect in my weakness.

God is my Enabler, not me.

I can run and do all that He calls me to do for His power is within me. 

I will not be weary for He is enabling me.

STEP 2:  I will list both my long-term and short-term                     goals and benefits that I hope to receive.  I will keep the list ever before me so I will remember why my physical exercise program is important.  I will focus on Jesus as my Enabler.

STEP 3:  When I fall short of my expectations, I will look to the one who will forgive my stumble and bumbles.  I will look to God as the One who can help me “fall-up” and my my exercise program a daily activity.

STEP 4:  I will set the example for my family by letting them see me physically exercising.  I will invitthem to join me in my journey to good health.

Dear Lord,
How wonderful that I do not have to depend on myself to do what needs to be done.  Instead, Your sweet Holy Spirit is living within me, filling me with Your presence.  Strengthen me in my resolve to be faithful to my exercise program. 
Strengthen me in my desire to care for my body, for not only is it my body, but it is Your temple.  Lord, when I feel like giving in and giving up, keep reminding me of both the present and future benefits.  Keep me keeping’ on, focusing on You.  Help me to claim Your promise that if I abide in You, I will run and not grow weary.  In Jesus name, I pray.  Amen





Comments

Popular Posts