Lesson 4: God Has Given You A Purpose and A Task

Lesson 4: God Has Given You A
Purpose and A Task

Today’s Scripture Focus: 
. . .till I declare your power to the next generation, your might to all who are to come  Psalm 71: 18 NIV
*Before you begin, ask the Holy Spirit to teach you as you read God’s Word and seek His meaning.
           
Have you ever been in a group discussion where a topic that you had a very strong opinion on was being discussed, but you kept your mouth closed?  Later, you wished you had spoken your convictions?  No doubt, if you have lived very many years, it has happened to you at some point.

Too often, we may be silent about how God has rained blessings upon our lives. That is the one thing that God has commanded us to speak boldly about and pass on to our families.  Our task is to pass on to our families their spiritual heritage, and we are the only ones that can do it.

Think On These Things:

Read the following passage from Psalm 78:1-8 NIV
1) O my people, hear my teaching: listen to the words of my mouth.
2) I will open my mouth in parables, I will utter hidden things, things from of old—
3) what we have heard and known, what our fathers have told us. 
4) We will not hide them from their children; we will tell the next generation the praiseworthy deeds of the LORD, his power, and the wonders he has done. 
5) He decreed statutes for Jacob and established the law in Israel, which he commanded our forefathers to teach their children,
6) so the next generation would know them, even the children yet to be born, and they in turn would tell their children. 
7) Then they would put their trust in God and would not forget his deeds but would keep his commands. 
8) They would not be like their forefathers—a stubborn and rebellious generation, whose hearts were not loyal to God, whose spirits were not faithful to him.

What Did I Learn

Who knows these things of old?

How are they known?

Who shall be told?

What five things would hopefully be accomplished by sharing the things of old?
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

I Will Apply What I Have Learned

STEP 1:  Using the decade list that you made in lesson one, write down how God has worked in your life.  Write it in the form of a letter to be passed on to your children and grandchildren.  Encourage them to start keeping a list of how God is working in their lives.  Use the form on the following page to help you compose your letter of testimony.

STEP 2:  When you have completed the form, offer a prayer to God for giving you such a wonderful testimony to share with your children and grandchildren.  This is a spiritual heritage that you are passing on to them; its value is far above silver and gold.

Dear God,

How I praise You for working in my life in such mighty ways and giving me this personal testimony, which I gladly share with my family as you commanded.  Gracious Father, use this spiritual heritage to benefit this family in mighty ways, to witness to them, to cause them to trust and obey You, and to increase their faith.  In Jesus Name, Amen.





                                                                            Date:
Dear                            ,
          God has been good to me.  I want to share how faithful He has been to me throughout my lifetime.
         
When I was a child. . .


          As a teenager. . .


          Then as an adult. . .



          God’s faithfulness has been continuous.  He is so good!  I hope you will take time to examine and look at your life to see how God has and is caring for you.
Just looking at how God has touched my life has increased my faith.  I hope it will increase yours too.  I pray that you will not forget all that He has done for our family and for me, that you will trust Him, and keep His commandments.  Trusting God will cause blessings to rain in your life.
                                                          In HIS love,

                                                          Your Grand__     ,

Comments

Popular Posts