Lesson 2, Week 5: We Are Spiritually Employed For a Lifetime on Earth


Scripture Focus: Which He commanded our fathers that they should make them known to their children; that the generation to come might know them. Psalm 78:5b

*Before you begin, ask the Holy Spirit to teach you as you read God’s Word and seek His meaning.

When I retired I was very guarded with my time. People were constantly asking me to sign up for this or that volunteer work, join one club after another, to do a lunch a day, and a million other things. I had seen former colleagues become so busy they didn’t even feel like they were retired. No ma’am! No sir! I was not going to get sucked into all of that. Being a retired teacher, I wasn’t going to sub. Nope! Too bad that they needed subs. Not my problem. I was going to write.

Then one day, about five years later, I realized I had retired from living, and I didn’t have anything to write about. I signed up to sub. I needed to be around children in order to write for children. I also chose some other things to be involved in and before I knew it, I was back in the
whirlwind of life.

I do have a word of caution here. Make a mission statement for your life, then don’t do anything that doesn’t fit in with that statement. Mine is: My purpose is to lift up the hurting and the lost and point them to the Triune God. This statement has kept me focused in my retirement.


Think on These Things 

“Then he said to his disciples, ‘The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few.’” Matthew  9:37 NIV

As a senior citizen and a grandmother for two generations, I believe we slow down physically, but I don’t think it is ever God’s intention that we retire spiritually. There is always something we can do. I know of great prayer warriors who working with God have helped turn lives around. Never underestimate the powerof prayer. I doubt that Billy Graham just sits.

Look and see where you are needed. Note your limitations and then get busy working in the Lord’s army. Every day there is someone in your area who needs a loving touch. Maybe you can bake a pie, cook a meal, watch the children after school until the parents get home, post a Scripture on Facebook, blog, and a hundred other things—the list is endless. Pick and choose what fits you. And hear me on this one—LISTEN. People in this world are so in need of someone to listen to them. We live in such a fast paced world, that no one has time to listen. Be the hands and feet of Jesus. Be the listening ears for Him, then point them to Him.

One last word—don’t retire at church either. The Bible doesn’t say when you hit 70, go sit in the pew. Instead remember—at the age of 80 and 83, Moses and Aaron were called to lead the Israelites out of Egypt. Joshua and Caleb were in their 80s were called to go in and secure Canaan. John was in his senior years when exiled on the Island of Patmos. The list goes on and on. Anna was 84 when Mary and Joseph brought Jesus to the temple. Simeon was aged too. But God had a spiritual purpose for their lives. He wasn’t through with them and He isn’t through with you. Ask Him what you can do, then do it?

What I Have Learned 
--We slow down, but there is always something I can do spiritually.

--There is a vast spiritual need in the world.

--The Lord needs me.

--I can choose with God’s guidance how I can serve the Lord.

--Just as God used senior citizens in the Bible, He can use me and wants
to use me if I will cooperate.


I Will Apply What I Have Learned

--First, prayerfully, I will make a mission statement for my life. (List your interests, your physical abilities, and ask the Holy Spirit to guide you. Write out how you hope to serve.

--Make notations in your Bible or notebook on every senior citizen or grandparent mentioned in the Word.

We have a lady in our church who inspires us. She is now in her 90s. We all says we want to be like her when we grow up. My challenge to you is to be someone younger’s inspiration on how to live as a godly grandparent or senior.


Heavenly Father,

Help me to discern how and where it is You want me to serve you in the winter of my life. Give me wisdom and direction as I make a mission statement for my life. Show me where I am needed. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.







Comments

Popular Posts