Lesson 2, Week 6: Grandparents Teach Love by Demonstrating Love for Their Neighbor



*Before you begin, ask God to reveal His truths to you as you study His Word.

Scripture Focus: ‘“And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’”

When I was a kid, we lived in the rural countryside. I remember as a youngster walking up the road alongside my mom to go visit a neighbor. There was never a death in the community that we didn’t take food to the family. As a young married, when there was a death among the neighbors, someone always went out and took up money for flowers. A bouquet would be sent with a card listing the neighbors. It was just the way things were done. It was the Christian thing to do.

Today, we’re getting away from the simple kindnesses that show we love our neighbor. Sometimes, we don’t even know our neighbor, and furthermore, some don’t even want to know their neighbor.

We have to stop and ask, Why is that? I’m afraid it’s because we are too busy and don’t want people to intrude in our lives, so we best not intrude in theirs. Still, the Lord has commanded us to love our neighbor. Maybe it’s time to pause and see how we are doing that.

Think on These Things

In Luke 10, a teacher of the law asked Jesus about the most important laws and Jesus told him to love God first, then to love his neighbor as himself. Jesus pointed out that all of the laws hung on these two commandment.

29 But he wanted to justify himself, so he asked Jesus, “And who is my neighbor?”
30 In reply Jesus said: “A man was going down from Jerusalem to Jericho, when he was attacked by robbers. They stripped him of his clothes, beat him and went away, leaving him half dead. 31 A priest happened to be going down the same road, and when he saw the man, he passed by on the other side. 32 So too, a Levite, when he came to the place and saw him, passed by on the other side. 33 But a Samaritan, as he traveled, came where the man was; and when he saw him, he took pity on him. 34 He went to him and bandaged his wounds, pouring on oil and wine. Then he put the man on his own donkey, brought him to an inn and took care of him. 35 The next day he took out two denarii[c] and gave them to the innkeeper. ‘Look after him,’ he said, ‘and when I return, I will reimburse you for any extra expense you may have.’
36 “Which of these three do you think was a neighbor to the man who fell into the hands of robbers?”
37 The expert in the law replied, “The one who had mercy on him.”
Jesus told him, “Go and do likewise.” Luke 10:29-37 NIV 
Thus if we look at Scripture from this view point, then we have to conclude that our neighbor is our fellowman. It can be our next door neighbor or it can be someone who lives in another country. Our neighbor is the one who has a need that we can minister to.
The question we have to ask ourselves is: Are we demonstrating our love for our fellowman to our grandchildren?

What I Have Learned

According to this Scripture, who is your neighbor?__________________________________

Why don’t we neighbor as in times past?_________________________________________

Are we demonstrating our love for our neighbor (fellowman) to our grandchildren?________

Why or why not?____________________________________________________________

What does God want me to do regarding my neighbor?______________________________


I Will Apply What I Have Learned

--I will take my children with me when I fill a shoebox at Christmas time for Samaritan Purse.

A friend of mine did this as a child with her grandmother. She is continuing it today with her children. This is an exercise in caring and giving.

--I will involve my grandchildren in giving both to home missions and foreign missions.

--I will point out ways to help the less fortunate within our community or town to my grandchildren.

--I will teach by doing. I will be open to ways I can help people within my neighborhood.


Dear God,

You have reminded me that being a good neighbor is one of Your commandments. Help me where I fall short. Show me ways to involve my grandchildren and teach them to love their neighbors, their classmates, and their friends. Guide me in showing them that we do acts of kindnesses for others and that this is loving our neighbor as ourselves. Amen


Comments

Popular Posts