Week 6: Grandparents Teach Love, Lesson 1, Week 6: Showing Love for God


‘“Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment.And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself:’ All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”’Matthew 22:37-40 NIV
  
*Before you begin, ask God to reveal His truths to you as you study His Word.

Scripture Focus: ‘“Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment.


How many of you have heard the old ditty? 

“I love you, I love you, I do.
And if I had a peanut,
I’d give the shell to you.” 

Sometimes, we kid ourselves by saying we love God, but then we only offer Him the empty shell of our lives. Ouch! That hurts.

2nd Timothy 3:5 TLB warns us that in the last days, “They will act religious, but they will reject the power that could make them godly. Stay away from people like that!”

How do you show someone you love them? By paying attention to them—spending time with them—letting them know that if it’s important to them, it is important to you.

Think on These Things

First of all, it is hard to establish a quiet time when Satan is trying to trip you up in every possible way. He will try to upset your routine, cause you to forget to seek God first, and use every evil technique he has. Look what he did to Jesus in the wilderness. So my first piece of advice is to read the Bible daily. Devour it like you are reading a novel. By this, you will come to know the LORD’s personality, and yes He has one, just like you and me. We were made in HIS image.

You may be saying, but I thought we were supposed to study the Bible. We are. But you can do that in your Bible studies, or small groups, or on your own at another time. I want you to grasp the magnitude of God Almighty, the Great I AM. At least as much as our finite minds will allow. It is through those times of personal reading that your relationship with HIM will form. And with that, the power of the Holy Spirit will cause you to hunger for more. I’m not kidding.Maybe you’ve already reached a level or deep love and commitment for God. Maybe you’ve given HIM more than the shell of your life. If you’re still seeking, try the daily Bible reading. Let your grandchildren see you reading and studying. They will see that it is something worth having. One of my fondest memories is seeing my dad studying his Bible at the kitchen table. It is etched in my mind forever.

One last thing I want you to do. Read Revelation, Chapters two and three—the letters to the seven churches. Make notes about what God told them.

What I Have Learned

--God wants more than our words. He wants our actions toward Him to show how much we love Him.

--What was the one thing that God held against the church in Ephesus?____________________

_____________________________________________________________________________

--What did God want the church in Smyrna to do when facing difficulty?__________________

_____________________________________________________________________________

--What had the church in Pergmum allowed to happen? Remember, we live in the world, but we don’t have to take the “norms” of society as our own.

_____________________________________________________________________________

_____________________________________________________________________________

--What was the problem at the church of Thyatira?_____________________________________

_____________________________________________________________________________

--What did He tell the church at Sardis?_____________________________________________

_____________________________________________________________________________

His message to the church at Philadelphia is different. God is pleased and makes them several promises.

--What was the problem with the church in Laodicea?__________________________________ 

_____________________________________________________________________________


I Will Apply What I Have Learned


Take what you have learned about the Seven Churches and see how you measure up in your individual life. Where there are problems, ask for forgiveness and commit anew. You have an
important teaching role as a mentor for your grandchildren. After recommitting your walk to God, show your grandchildren how much you love God.

--I will love Him by starting and ending my day with Him.
--I will love Him by not allowing certain shows on TV to be played in my home.
--I will love Him by not allowing His name to be used as a curse word.
--I will love Him by being obedient to His Word.
--I will not forsake meeting together with other Christians
--I will study His Word.
--I will live out my love for Him by the way I treat my family.
--I will ask the Holy Spirit to help me be more Christ-like

Can you come up with more ways that show your love for Him?  List them.

Discuss with your grandchildren why you make the choices you do. Tell them why you don’t take God’s name in vain. Explain why certain things aren’t good choices. Share your love for HIM.

Father God,


I want to be a good mentor and role model for my Grandchildren. I want them to love You with their whole heart. But first, Lord, help me to make my walk true. I don’t just want to give the shell of my life to you. I want to give You all of me.  Help me to surrender all. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

Comments

Popular Posts