Lesson 3, Week 6: Grandparents Show Love by Loving Themselves


*Before you begin, ask God to reveal His truths to you as you study His Word.

Scripture Focus: ‘“And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’”


Think on These Things

Yes, it’s the same Scripture as yesterday, but today we are focusing on the last two words,
as yourself. We’re to love our self? Really?

Yes, really. We have to learn to love our self before we can love others. We should not think more highly of ourselves than we should, but when we are saved by grace, we feel bathed in Christ’s love. “He hath chosen us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before Him in love,” Ephesians 1:4 KJV. When we understand that mercy and grace—when we realize what forgiveness really is—then we realize we stand before him holy and blameless because of what Christ did on our behalf. We feel his love and in turn we can love our new, redeemed self. When we filled up with HIS love, then we can pour love out onto others.

But how can we express that love so our grandchildren can see? First, we pour out our love on them by listening to them. Children today need people to listen. Everyone is so busy with work and often times we’re hard pressed to have enough time to go around. This is where grandparents can help out.

Secondly, we can quit moaning and groaning about this and that. Instead of saying, “I’m fat; I don’t like my hair; I don’t like the way I look; or a million other negative things, stay positive.
“Yes, I’ve gained some weight, but I can do something about it,” or quote often, 14 I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well.Psalm 139:14 KJV. In other words, if you’re not modeling a personal self-image, then they won’t either. Pour over this Psalm in its entirety. Remember we are created in God’s image and that’s pretty special

Next, practice being grateful and positive about life. Say, “I can with God’s help” instead of “I can’t.”


What I Have Learned

--We can love ourselves because ____________first loved us.

--We need to watch our words and be positive.

--We are made in __________________________
--We are __________________and ___________________________made.

--Where am I on a scale of 1-10 in seeing myself in a positive light?____________

--Am I modeling good self-esteem to my grandchildren?_____________________

I Will Apply What I Have Learned

·        I will examine my life and see where I rank in self-esteem.
·        I will examine my words and see if I’m spouting positive words.
·        I will read Scriptures on having self-esteem.

-Ephesians 2:10
-Song of Solomon 4:7
Luke 12:7
Psalm 139:13-14
1 Psalm 16:7
1 Peter 3:3-4

·        I will begin to make changes where I fall short because I want my grandchildren to have good self-esteem.

Father,
Please help me see myself as You see me. Let me love others as You love me. Help me to make changes where I have been speaking negative words. Help me to demonstrate love to my grandchildren by loving myself. Amen.


Comments

Popular Posts