LESSON 3, WEEK 11–Planting Prayer Seeds in Our Grandchildren’s Life



Scripture for the week:
This is the confidence we have in approaching God; that  if we ask anything
according to his will, he hears us. And if we know that he hears us—whatever
we ask—we know that we have what we asked of him. I John 5:14 NIV

*Before you begin, ask God to reveal His truth to you as you study His Word.

Think On These Things:

I was talking on the phone with my friend, sharing something I was concerned about, when she suddenly stopped me and said, “Let’s pray about it right now.” Wow! Sometimes we talk about praying, but never really get around to doing it. Her response made a lifelong impression on me

Grandparents, this is where you can plant prayer seeds with your grandchildren. Here is where you can say, “Thanks for sharing your
concern over _________with me, but let’s pray about it right now.
Can you imagine the impact that will have on your grandchild and
what it will teach them? It will teach them to turn to prayer the very first thing and not wait until after the fact.

Another way to plant prayer seeds is to share verses on prayer with your grandchildren. This week’s verse is a good one, but be ready to have an answer for their counter: “But, so and so prayed for their mom to be healed from cancer and she died.” How do you answer such a but . . .?

I’ve always been told God answers in one of three ways: yes, no, or not now. That made sense, but didn’t comfort me too much, especially when the answer was no, or not now. I began to look deeper and I think it comes to an issue of trust.

We don’t know why God makes the decisions He does, but we do know this: God loves us. After all, He sent His Only Son to die for us so that we might have life. So the thoughts I made Him mad, or He doesn’t like me, have to be pitched out the window. Not true!

The next thing we know is God is good, all the time. If God is good, He won’t make a bad decision. We have to trust that He is a loving, wise, and good God who sees the whole of eternity. Paul said in Corinthians 13:12 (ESV) “For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I have been fully known.
Trust is allowing Him to be God.  I’m not saying it is easy, but we can trust even when we’re hurting. It’s important to share this with your grandchildren, when the questions on prayer surface.


What Did I Learn

I learned it is important to __________  _____________ seeds.

One way to do it is to _______ with our grandchild when they share a particular problem with us.

It is important to help them understand that when God answers no or not now, we need to trust that He ______us, and He is _________, plus He
has a reason for His answer.


I Will Apply What I Have Learned

·       I will look for opportunities to plant prayer seeds.
·       I will share verses on prayer with my grandchildren.
·       I will encourage them to think about what they know about God: He is love and He is good.

Dear God, I see the importance of planting prayer seeds in my grandchildren. Help me to discern those teachable moments. Give me words and help me to speak, encouraging them to trust in You. In Jesus Name. Amen



©Janet Teitsort, March 23, 2017  

Comments

Popular Posts