WEEK 12: Praying for Your Children & Grandchildren LESSON 1, WEEK 12–Praying for the Daily Needs & Protection of Our Family



Scripture for the week: I looked for a man among them who would build up the wall and stand before me in the gap on behalf of the land so I would not have to destroy it, but I found none. Ezekiel 22:30 NIV

*Before you begin, ask God to reveal His truth to you as you study His Word.

Think On These Things:

In Matthew 13, Jesus teaches with the parable on the wheat and the tares. We learn that the choice seed (the wheat) represents God’s people whom God has planted in the world, and the thistle (the tares), are the people who belong to Satan. Jesus tells his disciples they are to wait until the harvest to get rid of the tares.

What does all this have to do with praying for your family? A lot. Every day, they get up and go out to face a great big world that has both the wheat and the tares growing in it. They need prayer to not get involved with the tares. They need prayer in order to be a witness and to stand for God. They need prayer to make godly decisions.

It is my hope that you are already standing in the gap for your family. But if not, now is the time to start. The method is up to you, but I’m going to share some of my own thoughts and some that have been shared with me.

One lady shared how she got a loose-leaf notebook and posted pictures of family members on each page. She said it helped her to stay focused.
On the left, she listed the prayer request and on the right she listed the answer. This sounds like a great idea and I’ve always wanted to try it, but I’m not that organized. I do well to get their names listed in my prayer journal. All too often they’re written on my heart and that’s as far as I get.

During my prayer time, after a time of praise, thanksgiving, and confession, I start by lifting up each member of my family and asking God to protect us from evil in this world and the unseen world. I also request protection upon our lives as we go about our day. I then continue by asking God to make our marriages sweet and raise up godly mates for the unmarried grandchildren. I then list my request for each family member’s personal needs as I know them and are led by the Holy Spirit to pray.

At time, I may pray a particular verse of Scripture over a child or grandchild. We’ll talk more about that tomorrow.

However you want to do, God treasures you—standing in the gap for your family. That’s the important part.

What Did I Learn

It is important to stand in the _________ for our family because in the

world, the ________ and the __________are growing together until the

harvest.


The method is not as important as the fact that we ___________ for our family.

I Will Apply What I Have Learned


____I have been praying for my family, but I will be more intentional about it.

____I haven’t been praying, but see the importance of praying for them. I will begin right now.


Dear God, Guide me as I lift up my family before You and ask that You be at work in their lives. Remind me to always take the time to do this, for I will do nothing or give them anything greater than the gift of prayer. When I enter into the throne room and lift them up before You—well, they are basking in Your glory. Thank You for hearing my requests. In Jesus’ Name. Amen.

©Janet Teitsort, March 27, 2017 


Comments

Popular Posts