Lesson 2, Week 9: Respecting your Parents


Today’s Scripture Focus:  Children, it is your Christian duty to obey your parents, for this is the right thing to do. “Respect your father and mother: is the first commandment that has a promise added: “So that all may go well with you, and you may live a long time in the land.”

Parents, do not treat your children in such a way as to make them angry. Instead, raise them with Christian discipline and instruction. Ephesians 6:1-4 TLB

 *Before you begin, ask the Holy Spirit to teach you as you read God’s Word and seek His meaning.

Think On These Things:

In this rush around, mobile society, it is often hard for adult children to stay current with the needs of parents who live at a distance. In fact, due to busyness, it’s even difficult when you live nearby. But respecting (honoring) is the first commandment, as the Scripture tells us, that has a promised added—“So that all may go well with you, and you may live a long time in the land.”  However, that’s not why we do it. We do it out of love.

The chances are if we don’t honor/respect (and I’m using the two words interchangeably) our parents, we will not honor God either. In other words, we are to revere them, hold them in awe. Does this mean that we will always agree with them? Certainly not, but it does mean that when we disagree, we will do so in a respectful manner. We obey them for sovereign (in control of every situation in our life) God has given them authority over us.

Grandparents, when the grandchildren come running to you with complaints about their parents, listen to them, but remind them of this Scripture. But if it is a situation where you feel the parent is definitely misguided, this is where prayer comes in. You can pray that the grandchildren will obey their parents and that the parents will not provoke them to anger. Life is a two-way street meaning there are too sides to every situation.

As grandparents, if our parents are still alive, you can be sure that your children and grandchildren are watching how you are treating your own parents. Set a biblical example and reap the promise that God has provided. If your parents are deceased, then share stories from the past, and honor their memory.

What Did I Learn

This is the first commandment that has a promise attached to it.

Write out the commandment and the promise._______________________  

____________________________________________________________  

____________________________________________________________ 


Why would God command you to obey your parents?_________________ 

____________________________________________________________ 

How can we show respect for our parents?_________________________

___________________________________________________________ 

Grandparents, how can we be the buffer between our grandchildren and

our children?________________________________________________ 

Who is watching how we treat our elderly parents?___________________

____________________________________________________________

How can prayer help?___________________________________________


I Will Apply What I Have Learned 

--I will ask God to enable me to set a good example of obeying this commandment for my children and grandchildren.  When I fall short, I will ask God to forgive me.


--I will pray for both my children (the parents) and my grandchildren.

Dear God,
Help me to set a good example of honoring my parents so that my children and grandchildren will have a good model to follow. Fill me with love for my parents. Help me to be a good listener to both my children and grandchildren, plus remind me to pray for their individual situations so that You may be honored. In Jesus Name, Amen.






Comments

Popular Posts