Lesson 4, Week 9: Teaching Self-Respect



Today’s Scripture Focus:   For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's. I Corinthians 6:20 KJV

“Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you; Jeremiah 1:5a ESV


 *Before you begin, ask the Holy Spirit to teach you as you read God’s Word and seek His meaning.

Think On These Things: 

We live in a society that esteems only the “cream of the crop.” You know, those that are pleasing to the eye, having perfect form, and exceptional abilities. What has that done to the rest of us? It has stripped us of our self-esteem.

But for the Christian, God teaches us otherwise.  Psalm 139:14 ESV states, “I will praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made.”
and 1 Samuel 16:7b ESV reads “For the LORD sees not as man sees: man looks on the outward appearance, but the LORD looks on the heart.” We are also told that the Holy Spirit gives gifts to us all, so we can excel in that area.

In other words, God made us in His image, so we are fearfully and wonderfully made. He’s not interested in our appearance as much as He is interested in our heart. The world has it all wrong.

Now please understand, God expects us to have good hygiene, but today we’re talking about physical characteristics. He also expects us to take care of our health by exercising and eating healthy.  After all, our bodies are the temples of the Holy Spirit.

Grandparents, if you are one to constantly be saying I’m too fat, my face is too wide or too narrow, my hair is too thin, too curly, too straight--you need to stop it, for you are agreeing with the world.

You are saying your value is in your appearance or your success. If you grew up with this mindset and passed it on to your children, who are passing it onto the grandchildren, stop and pray about it. With God’s renewing your mind on a daily bases, you can alter this mindset. It won’t be easy, but you have everything to gain. Besides, your grandchildren are in their formative years. Perhaps you can help them get on the right path before those thoughts form ruts in their brain.

The question you need to answer is—

Will I agree with the world, or agree with God’s Word? It is your choice.

I will leave you with this thought: All things are possible with God. (Mark 10:27)


What Did I Learn

I learned I have a choice when it comes to self-esteem.

My choice is to agree with the world, or to agree with God’s Word.

I have a responsibility to pass the truth onto my grandchildren.

I can change my thinking by asking God to renew my mind daily.

With God all things are possible (Mark 10:27). Jesus said it and I believe it.

I Will Apply What I Have Learned 

With God’s help, I will ask Jesus to renew my mind and my thinking about what is acceptable.

I will refuse the lies of the world and study what God’s Word teaches me.

I will ask God to “set a guard upon my mouth” when I start to spout negatives, so I don’t destroy my children and grandchildren’s self-esteem.

Dear God, I know the Truth of Your Word. Now, I am asking You to help me live it. Everyone of Your children are beautifully and wonderfully made. Give me a positive mind-set regarding my self-esteem. Help me to break the cycle of negative self-esteem. I pray this in the Name of Jesus. Amen.







Comments

Popular Posts