Lesson 3, Week 8: Being A Light within God’s Church


Today’s Scripture Focus: They will speak of the glorious splendor of your majesty, and I will meditate upon your wonderful works. Psalm 145:5 NIV

*Before you begin, ask the Holy Spirit to teach you as you read God’s Word and seek His meaning.

Think On These Things: 

The Bible says And let us not neglect our meeting together, as some people do, but encourage one another, especially now that the day of his return is drawing near. (Hebrews 10:25 NLT) We don’t want to be Christmas and Easter members, for that’s not teaching our grandchildren about the true meaning of membership. We meet together to encourage
each other. Why? Because the day of His return is getting closer all the time.

What does it mean to be a witness within your church?  Thom S. Rainer has written a small book (a two-hour read) that is entitled I am a church Member. It will enlighten your mind and answer the question of being a witness within your church circle. I recommend this book to all.

The first thing we have to decide is “it is not about us.” We have to be an
active member who doesn’t demand their way in all matters. We have to learn to be a team, working for the same cause. Blessed are the peacemakers .We also need to pray for our pastor. In the book, he gives a sample day of a pastor and it is eye-opening. Trust me, they need our prayers, big-time.

Another thing we need to be careful of is to speak words of worth and not worthless words. How we speak will encourage or discourage others. We want to aim high and encourage the uplifting of members, not the tearing down--so no gossiping or backbiting. When you realize you’ve done just that, confess and repent. Apologize if you need to.

Church is about the giving of self, time, and yes, money, to cause the gospel to go forward. The church gives hope and encouragement. The church--comprised of all its members--are the arms, legs, and feet of Jesus reaching out in love.

When you really come to understand what Jesus did for you on the cross, then you will want everyone to have that. You will reach out to your church family. You will laugh with them, you will cry with them, and you will love them just like you do your earthly family. After all, you’ll be spending eternity with them. Value that church membership. It’s a privilege, and you are blessed to be included for Christ.

What Did I Learn

--We need to pray for our pastor.
--It’s not about ___, we need to learn to be _____________
--The church is about giving of ______, ______, and ______
   so that the _____________can go forward.
--We need to speak ________  of _________, not _____________ words.

--C____________ m__________________ is a blessing.

I Will Apply What I Have Learned

Step 1:  I will choose to look at church membership in a new light.

Step 2: I will ask the Lord to help me speak words of worth and not worthless words so that I may build-up my brothers and sisters in Christ.

Step 3: I will model that to my grandchildren. I will ask God to set a guard upon my mouth, reminding me not to gossip or backbite. I will ask Him to help me be a peacemaker. Then my grandchildren will see a positive witness.

Step 4: I will choose to serve. If my church is lacking in an area of ministry, I will ask God if that is a place for me to serve. Even though I am a grandparent, God has something for me to do.

Step 5: I will ask God to fill me with love for my church family.

Father God,
You have heard the steps I long to take. Please fill me with the Holy Spirit and enable me to carry out these steps so I might be your arms, legs, and mouthpiece within my church family. Enable me to be a peacemaker and help me to be a positive witness to my brothers and sisters in Christ as well as to my grandchildren. Amen.






Comments

Popular Posts