Week 9: GRANDPARENTS MODEL AND TEACH RESPECT, Lesson 1, Week 9: Respecting your Elders



Scriptures for the week:

In the same way, you younger men must accept the authority of the elders. And all of you, serve each other in humilty, for "God opposes the proud but favors the humble. " I Peter 5:5 NLT

Children, it is your Christian duty to obey your parents, for this is the right thing to do. "Respect your father and mother" is the first commandment that has a promise added: so that all may go well with you, and you may live a long time in the land. Parents, do not treat your children in such a way as to make them angry. Instead, raise them with Christian discipline and instruction. Eph. 6:1-4 TLB

Show proper respect to everyone: Love the brotherhood of believers, fear God, honor the king. 1 Peter 2:7 NIV

For ye are brought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's. I Corinthians 6:20 KJV

"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you: Jeremiah 1:5a ESV


Lesson 1, Week 9: Respecting your Elders
Today’s Scripture Focus: In the same way, you younger men must accept the authority of the elders. And all of you, serve each other in humilty, for "God opposes the proud but favors the humble." I Peter 5:5 NLT 


*Before you begin, ask the Holy Spirit to teach you as you read God’s Word and seek His meaning.

Think On These Things:

A few months ago an elderly man in our community passed away. When people read his obituary, many commented, “I didn’t know he had been so accomplished.” All too often that’s the way it is. I asked myself why that happens. Sad to say, I think the answer lies in seeing them as an “older person” who is living out their last days and not as someone who has something to give.

Yet, as I’ve visited with people in nursing homes, they have valuable information to share with young folks. They are our only link to local and family history.

Several years ago, I was hosting my Home Eco. Club. A lady who knew tons of history about how our small community was founded, was the speaker. Being the hostess I was busy throughout the evening, and I was young. I vowed that I would pay her a visit sometime in the future and take notes—you know, get it all down. That visit never happened. I was busy raising children and before I knew it she passed away. Oh, how I wish I had made the time to talk to her.

When is it that we stop seeing them as people who have something to contribute?  Is it when their health starts to decline? Do they reach a point where they no longer think anyone is interested in their life and they just quit talking? Perhaps they hush because their hearing is bad and it is hard to carry on a conversation, the question remains why aren’t we utilizing the seniors in our communities and churches?  

We know it’s important and it’s not that we disrespect, but sometimes, we just don’t give them the honor they deserve.  I’ve seen church dinners where the senior citizens were allowed to go first, and I’ve seen times when the dinner crowd made a beeline for the food, totally ignoring the people with canes and walkers.

Happily, where I attend, the youth make it a point to not only allow the seniors citizens to go first, but they assist them with their drinks, carrying their plates, or doing whatever is necessary. Why is that? Because someone (their youth leaders) has taught them what the Bible says about respecting their elders.

Other ways to respect our elders (and grandparents, I hope you taught your children when they were young so they are teaching your grandchildren) are to:

--stand and let them have your chair if there aren’t any others.
--don’t argue or be disrespectful
--remove your hat at the dinner table
--obey their rules because something in their life has shown them the necessity of those rules

But the finest respect is when we take time to talk to them. It’s amazing what you can discovery. Every life counts.



What Did I Learn

Senior citizens have a lot to share with us. They are our tie to ________ and ____________history.

If they don’t talk much, perhaps it’s because they don’t ____well in large groups and would rather talk one on one.

We have to teach the young to ______________senior citizens. It is our
responsibility to guide them to put seniors first---first in food _________,
giving up their ____________, respecting the seniors __________.

If we don’t teach them, then who will?

I Will Apply What I Have Learned

I will ask my church about setting up mentor-pairs, a young person with a senior citizen.

I will see that respect is being taught within our family gatherings and reunions.

I will try to think of activities that senior citizens can do.

I will listen to them.

Father God, I lift up the senior citizens with our church and community as well as in our families. Lord help us to be mindful that they may not get around as well as they used to. They may be unstable walking. Help us to remind our youngsters not to mow them down as they are walking out of church. Make us all mindful of their aging needs, but remind us that they are still worthy of our love and worth spending time with. Amen!





Comments

Popular Posts