Lesson 3, Week 9: Respecting God and Others


Today’s Scripture Focus: Show proper respect to everyone: Love the brotherhood of believers, fear God, honor the king. 1 Peter 2:7 NIV

*Before you begin, ask the Holy Spirit to teach you as you read God’s Word and seek His meaning.

Think On These Things:

When one of the Pharisees, testing Jesus, asked Him what is the greatest commandment, Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’[a] 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’[b] 40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments. (Matthew 37:40 NIV) There we have it in a nutshell. He couldn’t have made it any clearer.

It saddens me today to hear people take God’s name in vain, using it as a curse word. I want to cry when I hear people being irreverent regarding the things of God. Recently in some of the women’s marches, I saw some signs that horrified me. They were straight out of hell, blatant, and right in God’s face. I was sickened by the comments of these lost souls.

Grandparents, this is probably one of the most important lessons you can teach your grandchildren. When you hear God’s name used as a curse word, be it on TV, by a stranger, or even someone in the family. Stop and say, “It hurts me when you use my God’s name as a curse word. How would you feel if I used your name in that way?”  It causes them to stop and think about what they are doing. All too often, it is a habit picked up from the world.

Teach your grandchildren to have respect for the Bible, the church, and the things of God. Tell them why it is important to you.  If you and their parents don’t model respect as well as teaching it, then who will?

Jesus had it right. When we love God with all our heart, then it is only natural that our love for our fellow man will follow.

What Did I Learn

That all the commandments hang on ________________ and

_____________________________.

As a grandparent, I have a right to express my sorrow when someone uses God’s ____________as a curse word.

The most important lesson I can model and teach my grandchildren is to

__________________________________________.


I Will Apply What I Have Learned 

·        I will be bold in calling a halt to using God’s Name as a curse word.
·        I will be bold in sharing with my grandchildren why I respect the things of God. He has given me grace, mercy, and forgiveness.
·        I will model respect for God and my fellow man.

Dear God,
I ask You to make me bold in the spirit as I attempt to share, model, and teach respect to my grandchildren. Give me the right words and the right circumstances to speak to their hearts. In Jesus Name, Amen.











Comments

Popular Posts